Menu Close

HOME SECRETARY VISITS LEICESTER TO DISCUSS EAST CITY UNREST

Leicester Time: HOME SECRETARY VISITS LEICESTER TO DISCUSS EAST CITY UNREST

The country’s Home Secretary has met with police in Leicester, following a period of violence and disorder in the East of the city.

Suella Braverman arrived in the city yesterday (Thursday, September 22), to discuss the situation in East Leicester, an area which saw several violent clashes between sections of the Muslim and Hindu community over the weekend.

Leicester Time: HOME SECRETARY VISITS LEICESTER TO DISCUSS EAST CITY UNREST
Picture: Suella Braverman Twitter

18 people were arrested. Police say they expect to arrest and charge more people over the coming weeks.

Writing on her Twitter account, the Home Secretary confirmed her visit to the city, where she met with Rob Nixon, Temporary Chief Constable for Leicestershire Police, as well as local community leaders. 

The meeting was designed to “discuss action being taken to protect local residents and restore safety and harmony in Leicester.”

“We’ll work together on this, and I will do everything I can to support communities and our police,” she said.

“Those who bring disorder and thuggery to our streets will face the full force of the law and I thank all those brave police officers for keeping us safe.”

In a statement, a Leicestershire Police spokesperson also confirmed that the meeting had taken place, but added that they wouldn’t be providing any further detail in relation to what was discussed.

Leicester Time: HOME SECRETARY VISITS LEICESTER TO DISCUSS EAST CITY UNREST
Picture: Suella Braverman Twitter

Three people have been charged so far in relation to the weekend’s disorder.

They are: 

Amos Noronha, 20, of Illingworth Road in Leicester. He appeared in court on Monday, where he pleaded guilty to possession of an offensive weapon and was jailed for 10 months.

Adam Yusuf, 21, of Bruin Street in Leicester. He appeared in court on Tuesday, where he pleaded guilty to possession of a bladed article and was sentenced to a year in prison, suspended for 18 months, and was ordered to do 200 hours of unpaid work

Lukman Patel, 31, of Homeway Road in Leicester. He appeared in court on Tuesday, where he pleaded not guilty to possession of an offensive weapon and racially aggravated harassment/alarm/distress. He is expected to stand trial on November 11.

Police have said some of those involved in the weekend’s disorder came to Leicester from Birmingham and Luton.

Leicester Time: HOME SECRETARY VISITS LEICESTER TO DISCUSS EAST CITY UNREST