Menu Close

Teenager jailed for ‘horrendous’ murder of Leicester pensioner

A teenager who walked into a house in Leicester and fatally stabbed a 79-year-old man has been sentenced to life imprisonment with a minimum of 25 years.

Daniel Rounce, 18, had initially fled the scene after stabbing Gerald Wickes at a house in Queens Park Way, Leicester, on the afternoon of 22 February 2023.

Leicester Time: Teenager jailed for 'horrendous' murder of Leicester pensioner
Picture: Leicestershire Police

But following a police search, he was found later that evening in the Aylestone Road area by officers where he was arrested on suspicion of murder.

Yesterday (Monday 15 April), following a trial at Leicester Crown Court, Rounce was found guilty of the murder of Mr Wickes. He was also found guilty of possession of a knife. 

Today (Tuesday), at the same court, he was sentenced to life imprisonment and to serve a minimum of 25 years.

Mr Wickes had been at his former partner’s house in Queens Park Way on the afternoon of 22 February last year, when Rounce, who was unknown to them, had entered the house.

Mr Wickes and his former partner questioned Rounce, who was 17 years old at the time of the offence and asked him what he wanted. But Rounce then pulled a knife from his jacket pocket and lunged at Mr Wickes stabbing him in the chest, before then leaving the property.

Police and the East Midlands Ambulance Service were called to the address. Sadly, Mr Wickes was pronounced deceased at 5.21pm.

A murder investigation was launched with initial enquiries showing Rounce had been in a wooded area near the house prior to going into the address. CCTV enquiries also showed him running away from the area after. A search of the wooded area nearby led to a knife being recovered as well as two rucksacks which were later identified as belonging to the teenager.

A search for Rounce continued into the evening leading to a police officer spotting him in the Aylestone Road area of Leicester at around 11.15pm. He was subsequently arrested and following further enquiries was charged two days later with the murder of Mr Wickes.

Following the verdict, Senior Investigating Officer Detective Inspector David Greenhalgh, from the East Midlands Special Operations Unit, said: “This was a devastating incident which resulted in a 79-year-old man losing his life in a horrendous way because of the actions of a teenager who was unknown to him.

“We will never fully know why this happened and my thoughts very much remain with Mr Wickes’ family. They have lost a loving father, grandfather and great-grandfather and this verdict does not make things any easier or bring their loved one back. I thank them for their support and the co-operation they have shown during this extremely difficult time.

“I would also like to thank all the officers who responded to the incident, and who have assisted with the investigation since, for their dedication and professionalism which has ultimately led to this verdict being returned in court.”