Menu Close


A TEENAGE Leicester City fan has been locked up for four months, after he attacked Nottingham Forest players at a game earlier this month.

Cameron Toner, 19, pleaded guilty to three counts of assault by beating and going onto the pitch during the match between Leicester and Forest, who were celebrating their third goal during the Reds’ 4-1 FA Cup win on February 6.

Picture: Google

At Nottingham Magistrates Court (pictured) the Whetstone resident was given also given a football banning order for 10 years from European and FA matches, a £100 fine for going onto the pitch and four months in custody for the assaults concurrently, of which he will serve half before he is released.

The court heard that Toner had drank four pints and a cocktail of Southern Comfort and vodka before the game, which took place at Leicester City’s King Power Stadium.

He had been drinking from 11am before the 4pm kick-off, and had also taken cocaine on the Friday night before the match..

Toner admitted assaulting Nottingham Forest players Keinan Davis, Brennan Johnson and Djed Spence, as Joe Worrall celebrated scoring his side’s third goal of the afternoon in the 32nd minute.

Picture: Nottinghamshire Police

Marianne Connally, a district crown prosecutor at CPS East Midlands and the area’s lead for football-related offences, said that the criminal justice system had “no option but to prevent him from attending future matches.”

“Cameron Toner committed an act of unprovoked violence in front of thousands,” she added.

“The CPS is determined to play an active part in protecting the vast majority of football supporters who want to attend and enjoy the games.”

Steve Cooper, asssistant chief constable of Nottinghamshire Police, said: “True football fans are proud and passionate. 

“Unfortunately, Toner was intent on violence and it is right he has been sentenced in this way.” 

“His actions were entirely unacceptable and we welcome today’s decision from court.  I hope this outcome acts as a lesson to any supporter who intends to cause trouble at future matches.”

PCC lead for football policing Mark Roberts, of Cheshire Constabulary said “I welcome the conviction and clear message the Judge has sent that this behaviour is utterly unacceptable. 

“Players have the right to go about their work without fear of being assaulted as everyone does. None of us would ever want to see fences around pitches and so it is important fans stay off the playing area and understand that those who transgress will face swift action as we have seen from Nottinghamshire Police, CPS and courts.” 

In court, Mr Toner apologised for his actions, adding that he was “not himself” on the day, due to being under the influence.